Baby Pea & Ham Soup
- 1 large smoked Ham bone (if not available, add 1 tsp. liquid smoke and about 1/2 cup chopped, thick-sliced deli ham)
- 8 cups Water
- 1-1/2 lbs. Carrots (about 4 large), diced
- 3 large Onions, finely diced
- 4 ribs Celery, diced
- 3 Bay leaves
- 1 lb. frozen Baby Peas
- 1/2 bunch parsley, coarsely chopped (or less, if desired)
- Freshly ground Black Pepper
- Place the ham bone and water in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove any froth that may form on the surface.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots, onions, celery and bay leaves.
- Simmer for 40 minutes, removing any froth as it appears.
- Remove the ham bone from the water and cut off any meat and dice.
- Discard the fat and skin and remove and discard the bay leaves.
- Return the diced ham to the pan and add the peas and simmer gently until tender.
- Add the parsley.
- Season to taste with pepper.