Chicken Barley Soup
- 6 cups Water, divided
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless Chicken breast
- 1/2 cup pearl Barley
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin Olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups thin sliced Carrots
- 1-1/2 cups thin sliced Celery
- 1 small Onion, chopped
- 2 cups sliced Mushrooms (about 4 ounces)
- 4 cups Spinach leaves, stems removed (can substitute with Kale, Collards, Mustard Greens or Chard)
- 1 can (15-1/2 ozs.) diced Tomatoes, undrained
- Salt and freshly ground Black pepper
- Pour 4 cups of cold water into a medium saucepan or Dutch oven.
- Add the chicken and bring to a boil, removing any froth that forms. Reduce the heat, cover and poach for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil.
- Add the barley. Cover and simmer for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour the oil in a large skillet.
- Add the carrots, celery, and onion and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove the vegetables from the heat and add the barley when it is done cooking.
- Remove the chicken from the poaching broth and cut into cubes.
- Add the barley, vegetables and cubed chicken back into the broth.
- Add the spinach and tomatoes to the soup.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Season to taste with sale and pepper.