Mushroom Barley Soup for One
- 1/4 cup Barley
- 1 cup Water
- 1 Tbsp. Canola Oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, your choice
- 1/4 yellow Onion, diced
- 1/2 Carrot, diced
- 1/2 stalk Celery, diced
- Salt and Ground Black Pepper to taste
- 1/2 Portobello Mushroom Cap, diced
- 1-1/4 cups low sodium Beef or Chicken stock
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 springs Fresh Thyme, or 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- In a small saucepan, bring barley and water to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium low and simmer until tender, about 30 minutes.
- While the barley is simmering, heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and saute' until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the carrot, celery, salt, and pepper and cook for another 5-8 minutes, until all vegetables are tender. Add the mushrooms and cook another 5 minutes.
- Add the stock, bay leaf and thyme and simmer over low heat for another 10 minutes. Stir in the cooked barley and cook for another 5 minutes or until all flavors are blended together. Remove bay leaf and sprigs of thyme if used.