Portuguese Sausage-Kale Soup
- 6 ounces Turkey Kielbasa, sliced
- 1 large Onion, chopped
- 1 large clove Garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Olive Oil
- 1 pound fresh Kale, washed
- 4 cups Water
- 3 cups low-sodium Chicken broth
- 2 Carrots, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried Marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 cup uncooked long-grain white Rice
- Saute' kielbasa, onion and garlic in oin in a large pot over medium-low heat until tender, about 10 minutes.
- If using fresh Kale, cut off the stems and either discard or cut into 1/2-inch pieces to use in the soup. Some people do not like the stems. Coarsely chop the Kale leaves.
- Add to the pot, the Chicken broth, water, carrots, marjoram, salt, pepper and the sliced fresh kale stems (if desired).
- Bring the pot to a boil. Lower the heat and cover and cook for 15 minutes longer. If using fresh Kale, add the leaves at this point, along with the rice to the pot. Bring to boiling. Lower the heat and cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until the rice is tender.